AN EXHIBITION FOR HIPSTAMATICS
brought to you by hipstamatics.com
The Orange Dot Gallery, London
Exhibition: 14th January 2011– 31st January 2011
Opening Night: 13th January 2011
Launched in the summer of 2010, hipstamatics.com <http://hipstamatics.com> is a blog dedicated to iPhone Hipstamatic photography. A beautiful online photo reel, it brings together and showcases some of the very best Hipstamatic shots from around the globe alongside some in-house originals.
People can scroll through the ever-expanding library of Hipstamatic shots and most importantly can share their own photos, submitting them for selection via Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter and e-mail.
From the hundreds of pictures on the blog the Orange Dot Gallery will showcase 157 prints – the same number as the amount of original analog cameras produced. A homage to both the history and future of Hipstamatics the exhibition will showcase some of the best works featured on the site to date, from both submitted snaps from around the globe and their own specially sourced and exclusive work.
A movement has started, opening up an opportunity for people around the globe to produce some outstanding lo fi photography all from their mobile phone. It’s a revolution that looks set to only continue to grow.
- The original Hipstamatic analog camera was launched In 1982 by brothers Bruce and Winston Dorbowski.
- By the end of 1984 the group had manufactured and sold 157 units.
- The two brothers were tragically killed in a road accident that very same year, meaning that Hipstamatic never became mass produced.
- The Hipstamatic App is an iPhone App that seeks to recreate the magic of the original Hipstamatic analog cameras.
- With high-res output it gives anyone the ability to hand pick which film, flash and lense is best for a shot.